Friday, February 19, 2010

"For five hundred years I've walked the world of men and now I have no time..."

(Oh yeah, I just quoted me some Gandalf. You know you love it.)

Perhaps the #1 challenge I've faced since jumping into the role of Mom has been time management. It's never exacty been my forte. For one thing, I'm the world's most terrible procrastinator. Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow. It's made me an excellent multitasker, but it's also led to a 'crash and burn' more than once as I tried to bake all 50 dozen of those yummy Christmas cookies in one night (oh yes, I've tried). That was how I got things done. Waaaaaiiit, and then work myself to death. I've not been able to function that way since Punkin was born. Actually, since before she was born. But to be fair, when I was pregnant, I pretty much couldn't handle doing anything except maybe getting dressed in the morning and puking.

So, in the midst of all the crazy that is going on I'm trying to learn how to keep everything going, get everything done, and still somehow, maybe get some sleep every once in a while. Sadly, my need for sleep has increased since I turned 30 (it's because I'm old now) and I can't just stay up all night hammering away at a necklace or working on Punkin's quilt. There was a time, but those days are long gone. (See, this changed from an "I have no time" rant to an "I'm getting old" rant. Fun, huh?)

So today, I am making myself a list (I adore making lists) of things I want to get done in the next month. And then I'm going to do them, dammit.

1. For starters, I'm going to take a walk in the woods we bought 2 months ago and I have yet to walk in. I don't even know what the back of our property looks like. But to be fair, some of that is because of the stupid weather we've been having. It's like it's winter or something.

2. Paint the bathrooms. This should have been done already. It's gonna happen. It's GOT to happen.

3. UNPACK. FINALLY.

4. Use my brand new sewing machine that I've had since last Christmas for the first time, and by doing so finish Punkin's quilt.

5. Give my kid lots of hugs and kisses. Oh wait. Check.

6. Make time for friends, and not care if the house is messy over the weekend.

7. Go to the mountains! Punkin hasn't been to the mountains yet. That is inexcusable.

8. Rent a dumpster and un-redneck the yard. For real.


I'm afraid to add any more, because already I feel my palms getting all sweaty. Eww.
Moving on.

I have started trying to keep my hands busy at night while the blasted TV is on (pretty much this whole rant could be discarded if I would just shoot the damn thing already) and I've made some fun little baby slippers from a pattern I bought on Etsy:






I used to not understand why people were always making baby things, but now that I have my own kid, I totally get it. In fact, I don't know why I didn't have a line of baby hats and mittens and slippers before (not to mention that baby sizes are so much faster! Bonus!) I have yet to incorporate kid stuff in my jewelry, but then, I have yet to make any jewelry, so it will be interesting to see how being a mom colors that creative process. I'm sure it will somehow. Maybe some sweet and simple baby birthstone necklaces? We'll see.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...