Wednesday, July 27, 2011

something witty and clever

I can't ever seem to come up with a post title. I hate post titles. I think they were invented by communists. Or those rare individuals who can always think of something witty and clever to say. So yeah, communists.

Figured out something this week about feeding Maezie-bell: Come at her from above, and drop it in her little mouth, birdie style! (Though I refuse to chew her food for her first, or regurgitate it. Sorry, kid.) That way, her head is back, and gravity does the work for her. Gravity! Who knew?!

all baby food kinda looks regurgitated. I'd be nervous, too.

The walker appears to be the best thing to sit her in and achieve the proper angle.

big sissy is feeding her something. I should be concerned.

We still have a therapist coming to evaluate her on the 1st, but she seems to have made some progress in the last 3 weeks. At least as far as eating is concerned. Still no babbling or consonant sounds, or any shaping of the lips when making noise. We'll know more in a week. In the meantime, a full baby is a happy baby!


Speaking of birdies - I've spent the last week or so playing nursemaid to a couple of our chicks, who have twisted necks. Some people call it "stargazing" but that sounds like they're just sweet, wistful dreamers, as opposed to poor, miserable little things. I've done some research and so far what I've come up with is that it's either disease, nutritional, or due to fluctuating humidity in the incubator. I'm leaning toward one of the latter 2, because all the other chicks are still healthy, and so far these 2 have not gotten worse, they just have floppy, twisted necks. I've been giving them liquid vitamins in their water. I brought them in the house to keep them separate from the others for about a week, and then 2 days into a killer migraine I remembered that DUH! I'm allergic to birds! This is why we started brooding them in the coop in the first place. Much as I want to give the poor things a good shot at survival, I need to be able to live thru the experience as well. And if I didn't kick that headache, somebody was gonna die. They're still able to eat and drink, and don't appear to be getting any worse, so, we'll see. This morning when I went out to the coop they looked better than they had in days. I hope that's going to continue. I haven't been able to find out much definitive info on a cure for their condition.

On a happier, holy-crap-could-summer-actually-be-winding-down?!? note:
I harvested our very first pumpkins!! Mini pumpkins! I checked the forcast, and the temp is supposed to be 98 today, but I swear to you, I can feel a little bit of fall crispness on the breeze... I might even be able to smell cinnamon. That last part is probably all in my head. Leave me alone. I'm happy.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...